Monday, May 11, 2015

Mother's Day 2015

We had a family-filled Mother's Day weekend, with just enough relaxation, busyness, and quality time to make for a pretty perfect weekend. 
 
Friday night we just hung out at home and I snuggled some chunky baby toes while Elyse helped Hubby mow the yard.  And let's be honest, that didn't last for long so after I put Nora to bed, Elyse & I played CandyLand before bedtime. 
 


Saturday was the 10th Annual Running of the Squirrels 5K in my hometown.  We are known for having native white squirrels, hence the name of the run.  Also, our family business is the title sponsor for the race so we've tried to participate for the last several years.  It's become a family tradition! 




Saturday afternoon Hubby & I worked on some long, overdue house projects while the girls napped and then we headed over to our neighbors' house for a very impromptu dinner.  They have children that are both exactly a month older than ours so it works out perfect.  The two older kids play wonderfully together and I'm so glad that we have some new friends to spend time with! 
 
On Mother's Day Sunday we were joined by Nora in our bed around 5:30, and Elyse woke up at 5:50.  I snuggled with Elyse in her bed while Hubby snuggled with Nora.  Although I was not thrilled about being up so early, it was made quite a bit better when Elyse--completely unprompted--gave me a big hug and said "I love you.  I love you so much!"  The girls (with a LOT of help from their daddy) got me a card and a spa day which I'm super excited to use. 
 
We actually went to church with my parents' as I knew Mother's Day would be a tough day.  This is the first Mother's Day without my Grandma Kay, and I was hoping that surprising my mom would be a nice distraction.  I was definitely right with that assumption and I was glad we could join them. 
 
After church we headed to my parents' house for lunch and just a fun afternoon.  Elyse did remarkably well without a nap, and she got in plenty of playtime with Cousin Harper. 






Nora was napping during picture time! 
My "little" brother and my momma!
 
We headed back home to meet up with Hubby's parents at our house for an extremely casual dinner consisting of McAlister's take-out!  We'd all had huge lunches so a big dinner really wasn't necessary.  We spent the rest of the evening just hanging out and playing, and Elyse rediscovered her dress-up basket.  She had several personalities...TinkerBell, a doctor, Sheriff Callie, and Cinderella all made an appearance!






And maybe my best Mother's Day present of all...before Hubby's parents arrived, Elyse had crashed in the car.  She really wanted to go to bed, but it was WAY too early for that.  So I told her she could just sleep in my lap for a bit.  I never expected her to go along with it...but she sacked out again and we cuddled for a good 45 minutes before I decided it was in all of our best interest for her to wakeup.  We haven't cuddled like that in months and it was a nice reminder that even though she's growing up so quickly, she's still just a little girl who every once in awhile wants to cuddle with her momma! 
I'm certainly one blessed momma.  My girls are my world, and I thank God for them each and every day! 

2 comments:

Laura Darling said...

Congrats on 8 years!!!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Looks like a fun day!! And I love that they still want to cuddle at that stage...so sweet!