Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Finally...a Weekend Recap on Hump Day...

Well with birthdays & weddings, roadtrips & rain, work & play...things have been a little crazy around the Layman house the past few days so I'm just now getting around to including the details of our fantastic weekend! Forgive me, this post may be a long one!

Friday we headed out to Oklahoma City for a quick little road trip. Hubby had purchased tickets to the Lion King for my birthday back in February so I finally got to cash those in. The trip was fairly uneventful & fairly quick except for the monsoon we had to drive through almost all the way there. Thank goodness it was not raining in OKC when we arrived. We stayed at an almost brand new Hampton Inn in the Bricktown district of OKC--we even got an upgrade to a King Suite on the top floor! Woohoo!!! We had a bit of time before our dinner reservations so we decided to drive around and find the memorial for the Oklahoma City Bombing. I do have to say it was quite moving & amazing to see.
This is a quick shot of the memorial site. Each chair represents someone who perished in the tragedy. Notice the small chair on the left side--there were small chairs to represent the children in the daycare who were killed that day. It was a beautiful memorial with lots of visitors even on the day we were there.

We had dinner reservations at the Melting Pot (our first time there) & while the food was good & we had a great time I'm not sure if I would return. The cheese fondue & dessert fondue were both amazing, but I wasn't real impressed with the main course. After dinner we headed over to the show & it was amazing just as I expected it would be. Hubby had never seen the show & he liked it as well! The weather was misty & kind of gross so I failed to get any pictures of us...again!


Saturday morning we got up and headed home--we had a wedding at 6:00 that evening. We were friends of the bride & she is the girl who does my hair all the time & also styled it for our wedding. She was absolutely beautiful & again I failed on taking pictures so you'll just have trust me. It was the first Catholic wedding for Hubby & I (who were raised & still are Southern Baptist) so it was definitely an experience but everything seemed to go very smoothly. We headed out fairly soon after the ceremony since Hubby & I were exhausted from our long day.


Sunday (Hubby's actual birthday) we had church & then relaxed at home. He was very happy with his gifts from me. I ended up with a them that I didn't even realize until I was wrapping the presents: WHITE Vineyard Vines' polo (we sent it back because it fit really weird), WHITE Oakley sunglasses for golf, WHITE North Face workout shirt, & WHITE Tiger Woods belt! Yes, everything I bought him was white--but he loved it all so that's always a plus.


Hubby's presents from his lovely Wifey!

Sunday evening we went to Branson with my parents & ate at Cantina Laredo for Hubby's Birthday dinner. This is probably one of my favorite restaurants of all time. We also walked around the Branson Landing with Josie, my parent's dog before heading home.

Hubby & I down by Lake Taneycomo at Branson Landing.


Josie really enjoyed the walk & was quite the attraction herself.

On Monday evening after work we had around 20 family & friends come over to our house for cake, ice cream, & a birthday celebration. We had a great time & my cake turned out very good! Hubby is more of an icing fan than a cake fan so as long as the icing is good he doesn't care. The cake I simply made from a Pilsbury box mix, but I made homemade cream cheese icing. YUMMM!!!! Here's a few shots from the party!


Hubby posing with his cake while my dad lights the candles!


My beautiful creation: 4-layer chocolate cake with chocolate fudge icing (from a can) in between the 1st & 2nd layer & the 3rd & 4th layer. I put my homemade cream cheese icing in between the 2nd & 3rd layer and then drenched the rest of the cake in cream cheese icing. The cake was all topped off with colorful sprinkles! I was definitely quite proud of myself!


Hubby blowing out his candles--notice Dawson's face in the background...PRICELESS!

I had quite the crowd at our house!

My brother & sister-in-law decided to use a Victoria's Secret box as their wrapping!


Lydia & Dawson both enjoyed getting to help out with opening presents! I don't know how thrilled their mom Andrea was but I thought it was adorable!


The aftermath with paper & presents strung everywhere!

The rest of our week is pretty low-key with Hubby starting to study again for the CPA exam. We'll be doing yardwork tonight since it will be the first night without rain in awhile. Our grass is soooo long & thick!!! I can't believe it's already the middle of the week, but we've got another big weekend coming up with a baby shower for me, a round of golf for Hubby & Mother's Day on Sunday. Hopefully the weather will warm up & we'll have a nice weekend for a change!



2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Awww you guys are such a cute couple!!!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

what a great weekend! you guys are so cute! and your cake looked great!!