Monday, February 17, 2014

Valentine's Day Deja Vu

So...this year our Valentine's Day was eerily similar to this one from last year...

Elyse developed a low-grade fever and some congestion on Tuesday evening and was down for the count all day Wednesday & Thursday.  Down as in basically the only movement she had was from my bed, to the couch, to the bed, to the changing table.  We watched LOTS of movies, and LOTS of television.  She never seemed to get much worse, so we voted against taking her to the doctor for the dreaded "it's a virus, you just need to wait it out," diagnosis.
Even with a low grade fever and a stuffy nose, a hooded towel can make any little girl look darling!

#TBT...the top picture is from February 13, 2014, and the bottom one is from February 13, 2013...both taken of a sick little girl who just wants to cuddle with her momma!  


While Elyse spent lots of time napping and watching Disney movies, I was able to whip up some yummy chocolate cupcakes and also put together some quick Valentine's gifts for Hubby & Elyse.
A boxed mix, with homemade chocolate buttercream icing


A Daddy/Daughter Date night bag from Elyse to her Daddy...Double Stuffed Oreos, a Wendy's gift card for nuggets & fries, a McDonald's giftcard for hot fudge sundaes, and a copy of The Jungle Book (which was just released and was one of Hubby's favorite childhood memories!)

My gift to Hubby, a bag of fun treats with cheesy, corny, romantic sayings..."I'm bananas for you" "You're the apple of my eye" "You are one hot tamale", etc., etc., etc.  (Free printables found here)


*Not picture are Elyse's gift, which consisted of a new box of Duplo blocks to add to her collection, and Little Golden Book versions of Monsters, Inc. & Monsters University for those times when she MUST HAVE Monsters!  Hubby also got me some beautiful roses, which I failed to take a picture of, and a new dress which will most likely be worn in July because that's as soon as it will be warm enough to wear it!  ha!  It'll be a great addition to my Charleston trip wardrobe!

However, with all the cuddle time, someone else was inevitably going to come down with her lovely cold...that someone was me.  So similar to last year, Valentine's Day consisted of 1 1/2 of our family being sick (Elyse is on the mend so I figure, she gets to share in my misery)!  To look on the bright side, at least it's just drainage and some congestion, but it still doesn't make for a very pleasant experience!
The best I could do with our matching sweatshirts...another one of those perfect photo-ops that doesn't always go as planned!


Thankfully we truly didn't have anything spectacular planned and I had already whipped up some yummy Valentine's Day cupcakes before the sickness attacked me.  So...last night we grabbed carry-out from McAlister's because soup & a baked potato will make anyone feel better. Elyse was feeling quite a bit better so I got to be entertained by she & Hubby as they built huge Duplo towers with her new blocks.
A night when I don't feel well and also don't have to cook is a pretty great present for me! 
Check out those eyes...still not feeling 100% for sure!


Elyse has learned to LOVE her blocks...which is a huge joy for her Daddy who LOVES Legos even to this day!  
To wrap up the evening, Hubby popped some popcorn and we treated Elyse to her first viewing of the Lion King.  After we got past the initial frustration from her of us NOT watching Monsters University or Planes, I think she's a big fan!


I guess I should also add that no one should feel TOO sorry for us.  Monday night Elyse spent the night with my in-laws so Hubby & I spontaneously planned a date night that served as our Valentine's celebration.  We had dinner at a great place in town and then we found a theater that was still showing Catching Fire.  We were the ONLY ONES in the theater...a pretty great way to celebrate this wonderful man that I get to do life with.  Whether that includes a date night out at a fancy restaurant or carry-out with a movie on the couch, life is pretty amazing since I get to be by his side through it all!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Awww hope the sick bug has left your house for good!

Aspen Kelty Marie said...

Awe poor sick baby but it still looks like you all had a good holiday :) so glad I stumbled on your blog :) New follower!

$100 Giveaway

Makeover With Aspen