Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Traditions Old & New

T-minus 3 more days until Christmas and I couldn't be more excited. Tomorrow is my last day of work for the week & I've actually managed to get most everything done well in advance so the stress & chaos of cooking or wrapping at the last minute will not be experienced by me this year! Woohoo!

Last night while Hubby was watching the Polar Express with our nephews I managed to make some homemade cinnamon rolls that are now in the freezer waiting to be popped in the oven for Christmas Eve & Christmas Day morning. (ok confession, they're not totally from scratch as I did cheat and use the frozen Rhodes bread dough...God's gift to a breadmaker if you ask me). They smelled wonderful baking in the oven last night & I certainly had to control myself to keep from pulling one straight out of the pan. I did this last year and I think this will be a new tradition so we can have something special for breakfast before we head out into the craziness of travelling from place to place during Christmas.

I've got all my presents purchased, only 2 presents left to wrap, and only 2 real quick things left to make as far as food goes. Wow...I don't know if I've ever been this on top of things!

This year we are starting a new tradition with Hubby's immediate family. For the past couple of years we have just kind of celebrated whenever we had a free moment, I kind of thought this was crappy and this Christmas should be just as important if not more important than several others we attend. So...this year we claimed Christmas Eve night as ours. None of us had other plans so after we have Christmas with my mom's parents that morning we will head home & have Christmas with them. Hubby & I are hosting and decided on chili & chicken tortilla soup as the meal because it's super easy and there is very little cleanup! I'm so happy that we will finally have a designated time & it won't be something that gets pushed behind all the other Christmas celebrations.

Hubby & I have so many things to be thankful for this Christmas...I hope as the years go on we are able to continue creating our own special traditions while still maintaining some of those old traditions that are so special. God has poured out his blessings in so many ways & I know that sometimes I am so ungrateful for what He has given to us. Thank you Heavenly Father for sending your precious only son so that we might have a Savior who would be our Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, & Prince of Peace. I hope you all experience Jesus in a special way this year. What a blessed time of year!

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Such a sweet post! Have a wonderful Christmas friend!!

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

Sounds like wonderful traditions! Isn't it fun declaring them? Yum! The cinamin rolls & soups sound delish :) Merry CHRISTmas new blog friend!

Brittney Galloway said...

mmmm, homemade cinnamon rolls! Sounds delicious!

Llama said...

Creating your own traditions is what makes the holidays yours. I just love how you are making everything so special! Hope it is everything you wish for and more!