Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Empty House

This morning my in-laws left our house & headed back to Michigan. My Christmas decorations are down, the tree is in the garage waiting for a new storage bag, & my Christmas dishes are all boxed and put away. My everyday dishes & non-holiday related home decor have been put back in their appropriate places. The floors have been vaccuumed, the shelves have been dusted, & the holiday cooking is finally complete. The only remnants of Christmas remaining in my house are a few leftovers from Christmas gatherings, a GIANT bowl of candy that Santa left in my stocking, and a few pair of shoes that I don't have room for on my shoe shelves so they are currently resting on our bedroom floor.

It's hard to believe that Christmas has come and gone in just the blink of an eye. I wait each year with such anticipation for the wonderful time of year that Christmas is and then just like that it's over and we've moved on to the next holiday. I certainly love the holiday and all the joy & peace that comes along with it, but right now I couldn't be more thrilled that the holidays are over. Stress is inevitable with such a busy time of year & the Christmas decor (aka Christmas clutter) seems to get quite overwhelming by the time Christmas morning actually arrives.

Tonight Hubby is headed out for an extremely short business trip (he'll be back in time tomorrow for New Year's festivities). I have plans of fixing left-over Chicken Tortilla soup for dinner, letting my precious Bogey boy in for some well deserved inside time, and curling up on the couch to possibly watch movies all night long. Sure, there's still cleaning & organizing to be accomplished but that can all wait until next year.

8 comments:

Jennifer Owens said...

I put all my Christmas decor up over the weekend too. THere is something about cleaning and putting away the Christmas clutter that makes things feel normal and breathable again.

Enjoy your New Years!

Ginger said...

I'm putting away all our Christmas decor this weekend and strangely enough I'm kind of looking forward to it. Hope you have a great New Years.

Brittney Galloway said...

Wow! You have been busy busy!

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

Way to go! Cleaning & Organizing is on our List of To Do's tonight! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Callie said...

Wow, you have your christmas stuff down already? We leave ours up until the first week of January - it just seems to go by too fast every year, so we make it last a little longer.

Kathryn said...

Mmmm, chicken tortilla soup sounds yummy.

CJ said...

Oh I wish all festivals lasted for a week rather than a day :D. Have a great new year though

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean! I can't believe Christmas is over either, and I know as soon as I take everything down my house will seem so bare. It's crazy! Happy new year!