Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Eatin' Like a Big Girl!

Along with Elyse's official half-birthday came this stubborn momma giving in to finally feeding her some solid foods.  She's probably been ready for the last month or so, but with all the research currently out there about exclusively breast-feeding for the first 6 months I was hesitant to try and fix something that wasn't broke. 

However, after our 6-month checkup with her pediatrician we got the full green light to go ahead with starting solids.  Hubby was definitely excited and so were my parents.  I'm not going to lie, I was a little hesitant.  I mean I've been providing her one & only food source for the last 6 months & we had that pretty much down to a science...and seriously, how can she be old enough to be eating "big person" foods already?!?  Ok, I realize that adults don't typically go around eating sweet potato & sweet pea puree', but you get my point...right?!?

I do realize that she needs to eat real food at some point so her 6 month birthday was the official start date.  I had decided long ago to try and make most of her food.  I had a friend sell me her Baby Bullett set for practically nothing & I knew it had to be a piece of cake to make my own.  On Wednesday I popped a sweet potato in the oven, baked it for around an hour, cleaned it out into my Baby Bullet, added a little bit of breastmilk to thin it out, & VOILA!!!  I had 9 servings of sweet potatoes for our sweet baby girl! 
Sweet potatoes...ready to go!
We finally had enough time to feed her her first meal on Thursday evening.  I was hoping she would catch on quickly with how to eat & Nick was secretly just hoping for a big mess! 
Elyse's first bite of food...
Not quite sure what to think!
She was definitely hesitant that first night--as she should be!  I mean she hasn't had anything thicker than milk for the past 6 months & we're expecting her to eat sweet potato pudding from this off this foreign plastic object?!?  She probably only ate about 3/4 of a tablespoon that first night...but ever since then she's been scarfing everything down!  
The next day at lunch went much better! 
We started her on peas today (after the allotted allergy free time period) and I think she loved those even more!  Making my own baby food has been so easy & actually quite enjoyable! I've got the entire Baby Bullet system, but it certainly isn't necessary. A blender/food processor & some ice cube trays is all you need & you'd be ready to get started!
Peas ready to go!
Ready for the freezer...
Peach puree' ready for when we start fruits in a few days!
At this point she seems to love eating (which I know will probably change!), and it's so fun to watch her face as she experiences new tastes!  Just call me Chef Momma, I've got zucchini, avocado, carrots, and brown rice on the menu before starting her on fruits like bananas, peaches & pears.
Eating it up with Aunt Millie!

5 comments:

*~~Nancy~~* said...

How sweet!!!!

Danavee said...

Because I'm dumb, is there an allergy regarding peas? Or did I read that wrong?

Megan said...

Wow that's awesome!! Go you! And go Elyse, Asher STILL won't eat anything green!! :)

Melanie said...

Love it!! I have the baby bullet too..gotta love those! I mix fruits and veggies together all the time..great way to get them to like something they normally wouldnt eat all on its own!

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Lol! She looks slightly unsure about how to move forward with the "big girl" food! :) I'm sure she'll get the hang of it soon! :)