Friday, November 30, 2012

Warning Signs

This week has been a long one.  One day at work. One day at the hospital. One day at home prepping for my party.  One day at my parents' house helping my mom decorate for Christmas.  One day back at work.  Sounds normal, right?!?

Oh, you mean the day at the hospital doesn't sound normal?  Well, it's not. 

Tuesday morning I woke up to Elyse crying at 5:30, but told myself I would leave her until 6:30 when we normally get her out of bed...unless she got really upset.  But she must have known something was wrong, because at 5:45 I got the first phone call that rocked my world. 

To make a short, private story even shorter, by 7:30 my dad was out of surgery after having a stent placed in one of his major arteries.  By 7:30, I was giving my dad a hug, wiping away tears and trying to avoid the "what if..." thoughts that went through my head.  I spent the rest of the day at the hospital keeping my mom company, running errands, or running interference for the several visitors that came by to check on my dad. 

My dad is incredibly healthy.  He goes for long walks with their dogs & eats way more fruits & veggies than I ever think about eating.  He doesn't smoke. He's supposed to be invincible.  He's my daddy.  My hero. 

But he's not invincible & his momma, my grandma, has genetically high cholesterol.  Now thanks to some medications and maybe some adjustments in diet/exercise, he'll be watching those numbers much more closely.  As will all of us. 

He had some warning signs, but thought they were just prolonged symptoms of a chest cold.  Shortness of breath, tired out easily, slight chest pains....they were there.  And thank God he didn't ignore them for too long. 

I could go into all the horrible details of that day, but instead I think I'll just say this...a lot of bloodwork doesn't test cholesterol numbers.  In fact, most general bloodwork doesn't.  So, if you know someone...a mother, a father, a husband, a sibling, or maybe even yourself who might not know their medical family history.  Go get a physical...now.  Regardless of the cost, it's worth it to at least know where you're starting from. 

As I said, my dad was incredibly healthy & it's his collateral arteries, & probably chewing an aspirin before heading to the hospital, that probably saved him. 


I'm praising God this week, and every day as I try to keep those "what-ifs" at bay...as I was in my kitchen earlier this week trying to prep for my cookie party.  I was listening to worship songs & I lifted my hands in worship & eventually fell to my knees in a good, sobbing cry; for watching over my dad, for getting him to the hospital, for giving us a doctor confident in his own abilities, for giving us a nurse who was honest & blunt & knowledgeable, for giving us friends & family who bathed us in prayer that day, for bringing my dad home only 36 hours later. 

Go get a physical...now, it might save your life or someone you love more than anything. 

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes..Praise God your dad is ok!! When you said you fell to the floor..sobbing and thanking God..its amazing how quickly our lives can change..I'm so thankful that your family is all ok!

Megan said...

Wow...I'm so sorry! I'm so glad that he is okay now, though! This happened to my dad earlier this year, too! And he's the same way - vegetarian and walks/exercises every single day! He had to have open heart surgery! Y'all will be in my prayers!!

Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness, that is so scary!! I'm so glad he is okay now!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

those physicals really do safe lives..glad your dad is okay! if i didn't have a physical last year...the cancer in my thyroid may have gotten worse...scary thought...so i swear by physicals! great post to spread the word!