Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Operation UnChristmas

I don't know about you guys, but one of my least favorite tasks each year is putting away all of the Christmas decorations that have been filling my house for the last 30+ days. Every year when December 26 rolls around I couldn't be more ready to put my Christmas away. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Christmas decorations and I feel such a sense of joy & happiness as I'm decorating each year; but after the crazy Christmas season, I'm normally ready for everything to go back to normal....and fast!

This year Hubby was off work on Monday while I wasn't. I had dropped a few casual hints that he could start the process of UnChristmas-ing our house, but I honestly only expected the tree to be down or for my Christmas dishes to be boxed up and put away. Imagine my surprise when we met up for lunch and Hubby tells me that almost EVERYTHING is put away. Even then I was a bit skeptical, but I came home that evening to a practically COMPLETELY UnChristmas-ed house! The only thing still up was the tree, but with all the ornaments completely boxed away.

It only took me a few moments to place the standard home decor back in it's place, and I was able to feel like my house was back to normal. A quick vacuum job in the living room to get rid of the stray pieces of glitter and I'm feeling as if I now have a very naked house. Sure, we've still got a few holiday treats sitting here and there; but for the most part everything has already been packed away--ready for next year when I'm able to get all excited about getting it out again!

Can I just say for a moment how incredible my husband is? While he certainly had some help from my in-laws, he spent most of his entire day off picking up the house and boxing away Christmas decorations. It was one of those moments when I seriously don't know if I could have loved him anymore!

2 comments:

Llama said...

I totally know what you mean. There is nothing tougher than taking down the decorations. Definitely no where near as rewarding and fun as putting them up!

Ginger said...

oh you lucky duck Christmas is still very much up at my house and I'm not looking forward to taking it all down and packing it away but at the same time I can't wait to do it and return to a little bit of normal for at least a little while.